The first Eucharistic Celebration of Christ the King Parish was held on August 15, 1936 in celebration of the Feast of The Assumption. The Parish was established by Bishop Gerald P. O’Hara on June 15, 1936. The site selected for Christ the King consisted of about four acres on Peachtree Road between Peachtree Way and East Wesley Road. The cost of the land with the existing white mansion was $35,000. View a photograph of the original rectory that stood on the site of the current building.
A singular honor came to the parish on January 5, 1937, when Pope Pius XI issued a proclamation changing the Diocese of Savannah, organized in 1850, to the Diocese of Savannah-Atlanta. This decree elevated our parish to Co-Cathedral status, equal in rank to the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Savannah.
Groundbreaking for the new church and school began as soon as the deeds for the land were executed. Construction proceeded rapidly on the two buildings. The cornerstone for the church was blessed and laid by Bishop O’Hara October 31, 1937, the Feast of Christ the King. On that same day, the original school building was completed.
A French Gothic architectural style of the old world was selected for the Cathedral. Seating would be for more than 700, and considering the parish numbered only 400 in 1937, Fr. Moylan showed foresight in building so large and beautiful a church.
A special year for the parish occured in 1956. On July 2, the Diocese of Atlanta was created. The Co-Cathedral was raised to the status of the Cathedral of Christ the King with the most Reverend Francis E. Hyland installed in the fall as first Bishop of Atlanta. He brought with him from Philadelphia Fr. Michael Regan to be his secretary. Fr. James Boyce became the first Chancellor of the new diocese. Sr. St. Raphael became principal for both high school and primary school.